Tuesday, September 20, 2005

All we are saying...

"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a facist dictatorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country." ~ Hermann Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall at the Nuremberg Trials after WWII


Well, I'm gearing up for my first trip to Washington, D.C. It's sure to be a trip I'll always remember, for not only is it my first time visiting our fine Capitol, it will be the first anti-war rally I've ever attended.
Cindy Sheehan really snapped me out of my complacency regarding this illegal, immoral slaughter that is occuring in the name of "freedom." Mothers will save the world. It's our nature to preserve and protect life.
I've been deeply depressed since we first attacked Iraq, but haven't done a damn thing to voice my opinion about it, which is a crime really. So now I'll be able to rest a little easier, and hopefully this have some kind of impact.
The events are taking place over three days, starting with an "Operation Ceasefire" Concert/Rally on September 24th at the Washington Monument and it will go on for about 11 hours. I'm only familiar with a few of the bands/artists on the bill, but I am THRILLED to see that Joan Baez was recently added. Also appearing are Thievery Corporation (they actually organized the event -they're kewl), Steve Earle (I like him), Sweet Honey in the Rock (I saw them at a Newport Folk Festival - they're wonderful) and many others (whom I've never heard of!). Jello Biafra will host, so that will be interesting.
On Sunday I'll be sightseeing (well I have to be a tourist for a day, right?).
On Monday, the 26th I'll participate in a mass civil-resistance demonstration at the White House and there's a chance I may get arrested (although it's only a slight one). I'm ready to walk the walk! (My husband, Sujoy and our 7 year old daughter, Anjoli will not be attending though - so it will be a little weird. That's ok).
Wish me luck!
If you are interested in attending, check out unitedforpeace.org...
Please come - we need lots and lots of warm bodies! If you do come, just look for a chick in a blue "Peace Monger" t-shirt! :)
Peace and love to all...
Sue

No comments: