Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Bring on the Blues!


Funny thing about the blues. When you're in a funk, there's nothing better to lift your spirits...and if you're feeling good, the blues can make you feel even better.

Here's a wonderful playlist I found on Real One's Rhapsody. (It's called Blues for Fun by Jonckel if you're a subscriber). I've seen a few of these artists: B.B. King, Muddy Waters, Taj Mahal, Charlie Musselwhite, The Kinsey Report, j.j. cale, Buddy Guy, Etta James and Duke Robillard. (Sujoy and I saw him at our favorite blues bar in Boston, Harper's Ferry. Sujoy had just a few too many drinkies and went up to him after the show and kept telling him,"You're a king! You're a king!" He used to do that alot! Those guys loved it, I'm sure! He met B.B. in NYC and told him how much he is loved in India, much to BB's amazement!). I'm sad that I never got to see Janis, Jimi, John Lee Hooker or Stevie Ray Vaughan...I hope the blues doesn't ever die out, but I'm afraid it may when the last of the greats are gone.

Blues for Fun

• "How Blue Can You Get" - B.B. King
• "Turtle Blues" - Big Brother & The Holding...
• "Born Under A Bad Sign" - Cream
• "Send Me To The 'Lectric Chair" - David Bromberg
• "New Lee Highway Blues" - David Bromberg
• "Key To The Highway" - Derek & The Dominos
• "John Henry/Worried Blues" - Doc & Merle Watson's Guitar Album
• "Weary Blues" - Doc Watson
• "Jailhouse Blues" - Doc & Merle Watson
• "Sittin' Here Pickin' The Blues" - Doc & Merle Watson
• "Shake For Me - John Hammond" - Duane Allman
• "Highway 49" - Howlin' Wolf
• "I Ain't Superstitious" - Howlin' Wolf
• "Highway 49" - Howlin' Wolf
• "Highway 49 - (alternate take)" - Howlin' Wolf
• "I've Got A Woman" - Howlin' Wolf
• "Red House" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
• "Moaning The Blues" - Mississippi John Hurt
• "Corrinna, Corrinna" - Mississippi John Hurt
• "All Night Long" - Mississippi John Hurt
• "Sittin' Here Drinkin' (Whiskey Blues)" - Muddy Waters
• "Honey Bee" - Muddy Waters
• "Howling Wolf" - Muddy Waters
• "She Moves Me" - Muddy Waters
• "Caldonia" - Muddy Waters
• "Walkin' Blues" - Muddy Waters
• "I Can't Be Satisfied" - Muddy Waters
• "I Feel Like Going Home" - Muddy Waters
• "All These Blues" - Paul Butterfield
• "Cross Road Blues" - Robert Johnson
• "Kind Hearted Woman Blues" - Robert Johnson
• "Love In Vain" - Robert Johnson
• "I'm So Glad" - Skip James
• "How Long Blues" - Skip James
• "Crow Jane" - Skip James
• "Death Letter" - Son House
• "John The Revelator" - Son House
• "Pride And Joy" - Stevie Ray Vaughan
• "Leave My Girl Alone" - Stevie Ray Vaughan
• "Texas Flood" - Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble
• "She Caught The Katy And Left Me A Mule To Ride - (bonus track, previously unreleased)" - Taj Mahal
• "Going Up To The Country And Paint My Mailbox Blue" - Taj Mahal
• "Voodoo" - The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
• "Mr. Ray "J" / Dead Man Blues" - The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
• "Wolverine Blues" - The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
• "The Pearls" - The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
• "Love In Vain" - The Rolling Stones
• "Stormy Monday" - Allman Brothers Band
• "Born Under A Bad Sign" - Albert King
• "Breaking Up Somebody's Home, (I Feel Like)" - Albert King
• "Strollin' With The Bones" - T-Bone Walker
• "The Hustle Is On" - T-Bone Walker
• "Long Skirt Baby Blues" - T-Bone Walker
• "Illustrated Man" - Johnny Winter
• "Frosty" - Albert Collins
• "I've Got Love If You Want It" - John Hammond
• "Three O'Clock Blues" - B.B. King
• "Can't Stay Away" - Charlie Musselwhite
• "Don't Get Me Shook Up" - Duke Robillard
• "Cold Sweat" - The Bone Shakers
• "Me And My Baby" - Larry McCray
• "No More Doggin'" - Colin James/The Little Big Band
• "Too Early To Tell" - The Kinsey Report
• "I Shall Not Be Moved" - Pops Staples
• "Get Your Lies Straight" - Terry Evans
• "Need A Little Sugar In My Bowl" - Hadda Brooks
• "Down Here In The Real Big Empty" - Roy Rogers
• "Dust My Broom" - Elmore James
• "Tramp" - Lowell Fulsom
• "So Good To My Baby" - Big Maybelle
• "Mannish Boy" - Muddy Waters
• "My Babe" - Little Walter
• "Wang Dang Doodle" - Koko Taylor
• "Little Red Rooster" - Howlin' Wolf
• "Reelin' & Rockin'" - Chuck Berry
• "I'd Rather Go Blind" - Etta James
• "Boom Boom" - John Lee Hooker
• "Shame Shame Shame" - Johnny Winter
• "Help Me Somebody" - Jon Cleary

1 comment:

lryicsgrl said...

love them blues.
fav's are Love in Vain by Robert Johnson
same song by The Rolling Stones.
Turtle Blues Big Brother & The Holding Co.
Mannish Boy Muddy Waters
I also love the Stones version of Little Red Rooster...